The history of New Zion United Methodist Church is an age-old story of men and women who walked by faith and not by sight. The church’s history is deeply rooted in making Marche a better place to live. New Zion United Methodist Church’s history is rich, even though much of it unrecorded.
The church began as Zion Chapel Methodist Church. Early in the church’s history, many of the records were lost that would enable us to give a more detailed and accurate account of the past. However, memories both vivid and dim remain with the offspring of our forefathers. With these memories we are able to reveal much about the past of the historical Zion Chapel Methodist Church.
In the year of 1888, Zion Chapel Methodist Church was organized by a very small group of devoted Christians. The late Reverend E.D. Spencer was the first pastor. The pastors who followed in that era were the late Reverends: C. C. Wallace, J. Nelson, Ira Pointer, Archie Harris, Herbert Bright, A. L. Woodard, and E. F. Wallace.
In 1943, under the leadership of the late Rev. J.W. Winston, the church was moved to west Marche, adjacent to the present building and renamed New Zion Methodist Church. Other pastors were the late Reverends: G.W. Perry, C. Mitchell, A. L. Woodard, B.F. Littlejohn, W. H. D. Bright, Lloyd Smith, William Robinson Jr., L. T. Thompson, and M. D. Nelson.
In 1968, New Zion Methodist Church began the process of merging with the United Methodist organization. This merger was completed in 1972 and we became New Zion United Methodist Church.
In September of 1973, under the leadership of the late M. D. Nelson, the present building was built. Other pastors to follow were Reverends: the late E. V. Morgan, William Thompson, Arthur Parham, and Harold Flowers, Carol Ann Blow, Gregory Banks, Tyler Cain, Johnnie Lee Davis and James L. Scruggs.
Under Rev. James L. Scruggs church services changed from two Sundays per month to every Sunday. Updates to the building were made which included installing central heating and air, and new modern windows. Rev. Scruggs retired in June 2025.
God has truly smiled on our membership and from our midst he has called four (4) members to be preachers. They are the late Rev. E.F. Wallace, the late Rev. Billy Norwood, Rev. Joseph Hughes and Rev. Elsie Winston.
Our history is filled with great leadership from our pastors and official board members.