44 YEARS OF ARKANSAS UNITED METHODISTS
FEEDING THE HUNGRY AND SUPPORTING DISASTER RELIEF
October 1 – November 20
- Disaster Relief Supply Kits
- Resources for Donating Books
- Online Giving and Ingathering Report Form
- District Information
DISASTER RELIEF: DONATE RELIEF SUPPLIES
Cleaning kits (also known as flood buckets) are especially needed to replenish in Arkansas after the floods this spring. Any additional Cleaning, Health and School Kits will be shipped to Sager Brown Depot. Mark any financial donations submitted with kits as “UMCOR”.
This year, the focus at Ingathering for Disaster Response is a little different, as our focus is on our Conference Disaster Response rather than kits for Sager Brown and funds for UMCOR. We assure you, our partnership with UMCOR is as strong as ever. We rely heavily on UMCOR for training, consultation, supplies and grants when larger disaster events strike in Arkansas. They are always gracious to support our efforts in every way. That being the case, we highly encourage you, individuals and churches, to continue your support of UMCOR outside this year’s Ingathering. This can be done through volunteering at Sager Brown, UMCOR Sunday giving, The Advance, and through endowments and other such gifts. You can find options for giving to UMCOR at umcmission.org/give-to-umcor.
So, WHY the focus on our Conference Disaster Response at Ingathering this year?
- Disaster Response is now one of the Conference Initiatives
- Replenish funds after responding to smaller wind and flood events over the past two years
- Complete current projects and close current cases before year-end
- Finish and stock the new disaster response resource center
- Assist in other conferences when disaster strikes outside Arkansas
- Provide for ongoing preparation and training
So what is needed? Funds are always best since they can be used to meet the greatest need at any given time. Relief kits are much appreciated and will be used to stock the new resource center and make it ready for response. Information on the kits can be found below.
Kit Assembly Instructions
200,000 MORE REASONS: DONATE BOOKS FOR CHILDREN TO HAVE AT HOME
Engaging in literacy ministry is a long range plan for alleviating poverty and hunger in our communities. The most important factor in educational achievement is owning books in the home. For Ingathering this year, let’s collect and distribute books to make sure the children of Arkansas have access to books at home.
Ideas for Collecting Books:
- Curate an Amazon List of books to be shipped directly to the church
- Set up a book drop-off station in the church
Ideas for Distributing Books
- Pair book distribution with feeding ministries (backpack programs and food pantries)
- Place books in a Little Free Library near your church
- Connect to your local school or preschool to offer a distribution
- Include book distribution as part of a family based event in the community like a fall festival
- Offer books to support your local out of school program participants
- When you can, remember to offer book choice for children- allow them to pick books that speak to their interests, likes, and abilities.
- Sacred Worth Books (Discipleship Ministries)
- The following books are for students who know their letters and sounds. Level Pre-A, A, B, etc. are the beginning levels, and by the end of first grade, we like kids to be at least a level H
- Colours of Us (Multicultural Children’s Books)
- Reading is Fundamental (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Collection)
- Read Across America Books by Theme
DONATE FINANCIAL GIFTS TO ARKANSAS DISASTER RESPONSE AND 200,000 MORE REASONS
Churches and individuals can donate to help our Conference respond to disasters in our state and provide support for feeding ministries (weekend backpack programs, summer meals, food pantries, snacks and meals for literacy ministries and more).
- Individuals can donate online here
- Churches can send a check of collected funds along with their Ingathering Report Form
REPORT YOUR SUCCESS!
Churches should submit a report of their collections and volunteers participating. To see which district has met their goals, make sure to report by November 20.
- Click here to report online
- Click here to download a PDF paper form and check submission
- Click here to download a Word document paper form and check submission
Please note that churches will be able to print a record of their online report and send a copy with a check to the Conference Treasurer. By submitting a paper check, your donations will show in the church’s monthly Tithe Report.
Contact the Ingathering Coordination Team
|Contact Name||Role||District||Phone Number||Email Address|
|Mary Lewis Dassinger||Conference Coordinator||ARUMCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jules Anderson||District Coordinator||Northwestemail@example.com|
|Chase Burns||District Coordinator||Northeastfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Terry Chapman||District Coordinator||Southwestemail@example.com|
|Dalene Stephenson||District Coordinator||Southeastfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dorothy Gantz||District Coordinator||Centralemail@example.com|
|Palmer Lee||Online Technical Support||ARUMCfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Melissa Sanders||Church Reporting||ARUMCemail@example.com|