Assessments and Consultations
Chairs of Pastor/Staff Parish Relations Committees
From: Bishop Gary E. Mueller
Date: October 28, 2021
RE: 2022 Pastoral Appointment Consultation Forms
Greetings in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
As you know, United Methodist pastors are appointed annually to congregations. This critically important process involves prayer, discernment, and input from congregations and clergy. The Appointive Cabinet carries out our work with sensitivity to the needs of the church’s mission field, the church, the skills and effectiveness of the pastors, and the trajectory of the Arkansas Conference of the United Methodist Church to create vital congregations that make disciples of Jesus Christ, who make disciples equipped and sent to transform lives, communities and the world.
The links for the 2022 Pastoral Appointment Consultation Forms and the document outlining how we make appointments in the Arkansas Annual Conference are included in this email. You need to complete and submit each online 2022 Appointment Consultation Form to your District Office no later than December 6, 2021.
The pastor may choose to step out of the room so that the committee members may make their recommendations without him or her present. However, immediately following the vote, the committee must inform the pastor and discuss with the pastor its assessment and recommendation concerning the pastoral appointment. After that conversation is concluded, the online form may be submitted. The pastor will receive a digital copy. Remember, like all Pastor/Staff Parish Committee work, this recommendation is confidential and may not be discussed with anyone who is not on the Pastor/Staff Parish Committee.
Here are several important things to keep in mind as you complete your work:
- Use a different Assessment and Consultation Form for each appointed clergyperson.
- The consultation recommendations of both the Pastor and Pastor/Staff Parish Committee are strictly advisory to the Bishop and Appointive Cabinet.
- The current Pastor/Staff Parish Relations Committee is responsible for making the consultation recommendation.
- Please complete this form during your meeting using a computer, phone, or other mobile device. For the long answer question, you may wish to write it in a word processor document and paste it into the space provided.
- After you click “SUBMIT,” an email receipt of the form will be sent to your SPRC contact, the pastor, and the district office. Please save your receipt.
- Contact your District Superintendent if you have any questions about the consultation process.
- Information about The Making of Pastoral Appointments in the Arkansas Annual Conference (PDF document)
- Staff Parish Committee Consultation Form (online form)
- Clergy Consultation Form (online form)
The Appointive Cabinet has already begun our work will continue through the spring. Please pray with us as we seek the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit to make the most faithful, effective and bold mission field appointments possible.
Grace and peace,
Gary E. Mueller