If you or any of your parishioners would like to understand better how the Arkansas Conference Disaster Response ministry works along with UMCOR, please view this conversation between Bishop Merrill, Rev. Jim Polk, and Sheri Matthews and feel free to share with anyone wanting to learn more about this United Methodist Disaster Response ecosystem.
The donation collection site for Pulaski County will be at Pulaski Heights UMC, 4823 Woodlawn Dr, Little Rock, ENTRANCES 1 & 7, beginning on Thursday, April 6. Pulaski County donations listed below can be dropped off Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
The donation collection site for Wynne will be at Wynne FUMC, 800 Falls Blvd, Wynne, beginning later this week. The schedule for drop-offs will be announced asap.
Initial locations have been secured for volunteers coming from other areas. Thank you to Forest City FUMC, McCrory FUMC, and Pinnacle View UMC for making this happen.
ARUMC Disaster Response teams are beginning assessments today in all affected areas to determine the next steps for making homes safe, secure, and sanitary. These are the team leaders who will lead ministry teams for rebuilding in all areas affected.
Please encourage parishioners to apply for FEMA assistance, even if the damage received is very slight. Also, please make sure that people know that they can apply if they rent OR own their home. FEMA: https://www.fema.gov/assistance/individual
ERT Recertification classes will be announced very soon! If at one point you were certified, please consider getting this recertification so that you can lead groups of volunteers.
As of today, there are four ways to support the United Methodist disaster response in Arkansas from the March 31 tornadoes:
- Share this VERY IMPORTANT video with your churches, friends, and families to better understand and support the ARUMC Disaster Response Ministry.
- Give online to support the long-term United Methodist disaster response ministry in Arkansas. Please consider donating to ARUMC Volunteers in Mission/Disaster Response to keep funds local. Donations to UMCOR are always encouraged as well.
- Hands-on help is requested for the following service areas:
- Data entry
- Making phone calls
- Food delivery
- Running errands
- Delivery of supplies (lunches, buckets, donated items, etc.)
- Onsite disaster response
- Begin collecting items for Wynne and Pulaski County:
- NEW (in packages) socks – all sizes
- NEW (in packages) underwear – all sizes
- NEW (in packages) t-shirts – all sizes
- NEW containers of shampoo
- NEW tubes of toothpaste
- Begin collecting items for Wynne Distribution Site (187 Murray Street, Wynne) ONLY:
- Pop-up tents
- Air mattresses – all sizes
- Spray sunscreen
- Readers glasses
- Plastic storage tubs
- Battery packs
- First Aid kits
- Non-perishable food
- Styrofoam coolers
- Power cords
- Bungee cords
- Baby food
If you have any people who would like to serve on the ground with disaster response, including tarping, clean-up, loading, unloading, etc., and they are NOT ERT-certified, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Teams are being assembled with an ERT-certified leader that can accompany you or your group.
If you want to volunteer to serve, please contact email@example.com.
All communication regarding response updates for the service areas (Jacksonville, Little Rock, North Little Rock, Sherwood, and Wynne) will be provided on the Arkansas Conference website and Facebook and the ARUMC Volunteers in Mission and Disaster Response Facebook group. Follow these platforms to stay updated on all disaster response updates.