Website Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church
The Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church (VAUMC) announces a search for a Executive Assistant in the office of Connectional Ministries. The selected candidate will be responsible for supporting multiple strategic initiative activities within Common Table for Church Vitality (CT). The CT serves to coordinate and prioritize the ministries and resources of the Virginia Conference. It nurtures, interprets, and promotes the vision of the Conference, as well as the mandates of The Book of Discipline which relates to Conference work. The ideal candidate must have the ability to build relations across all levels of the organization and serve as a trusted advisor to the Assistant to the Bishop and Director of Connectional Ministries.
The Executive Assistant serves as an expert in established project management principles and will utilize and adhere to these principles to lead initiatives that support the Conferences goals and drive ministry results. The position will utilize their skills and expertise to inspire a sense of shared purpose within the Connectional Ministries staff and CT team. In addition, this position will serve as a liaison with key stakeholders on tasks, deliverables, and issues regarding strategic initiatives, and conducts presentations to leadership and other Conference entities on the progress and outcomes of initiatives.
- Work directly with the Assistant to the Bishop (ATB) and Director of Connectional Ministries (DCM) to lead strategic initiatives, including mapping of current and future processes, identifying opportunities for improvement, identifying needs for additional resources, and leading team discussions including the impact on existing ministry processes.
- Support the Assistant to the Bishop and Director of Connectional Ministries by providing administrative duties, including answering phone, greeting visitors, hospitality, scheduling meetings, coordinating logistics for meeting, coordinating travel and hotel arrangements, coordinating vouchers, arranging meals, attending meetings, taking minutes/notes, etc.
- Serve as liaison with key stakeholders on tasks, deliverables and issues regarding strategic initiatives.
- Partner with multidisciplinary and cross-divisional teams to execute and drive strategic opportunities.
- Provide project management guidance and expert advice within the areas of Connectional Ministries. Monitor project milestones and deliverables. Help to drive the delivery of project work through project managers who are working on related programs.
- Assist with Annual Conference by assisting the Director of Communications regarding the Book of Reports and by assisting with the planning, including working with conference housing coordinator and meeting planner, prepare housing information for email to Annual Conference members, and troubleshooting reservations in reservation software.
- Work with Annual Conference Planning coordinators to arrange housing and transportation for guest speakers. Assistant with annual conference agenda serve as one of the Assistant Secretaries to Annual Conference.
- Maintain and review Connectional Ministries budgets and financial reports. Assist DCM on upcoming years budget. Provide administrative board and staff budget detail to Treasurers office. Send transfer of funds request to Treasurers office for projects as approved by the Common Table.
- Assist webmaster in maintaining the Virginia Conference Calendar of Events and other Connectional Ministries pages.
- Provide support for the following boards as needed: The Common Table; the Conference Nominations Team; the Annual Conference Planning Committee; the Conference Rules committee; the Annual Conference Minutes committee; the Bishops Foundation; the Bishops Convocation on Prayer; and other groups, as assigned.
- Other special projects or duties as assigned.
- 4+ years experience leading large and complex cross-functional projects/programs.
- Strong organizational skills and deep understanding of Project Management concepts for planning, monitoring, and reporting.
- Effective analytical skills with an ability to identify issues and resolve or identify the internal resources to assist.
- History of successfully executing enterprise-wide initiatives: defining project plans, coordinating resources, managing implementation activities, and developing all processes associated with project rollout and ongoing support.
- Strong stakeholder management/engagement skills.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Confidence, professional presence, and ability to respect the sometimes confidential or sensitive nature of the work.
- Resilient and adaptable, with an ability to prioritize and adapt to rapidly shifting priorities.
- Knowledge of The UMC is strongly preferred.
The Virginia Conference of the United Methodist Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities. All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully completing background, reference, and other applicable checks.
For more information, please click here.