Website First United Methodist Church of Magnolia
The purpose of the Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) is to build young disciples for Christ in students 7th – 12th grade, to create a space for youth to learn about and develop their relationship with God, to provide many different opportunities for Youth to experience the Holy Spirit, and to engage their ministry in the values of First United Methodist Church: to invite all to know the love of God, to share grace, and to develop relationships.
Hours: Full-Time 40hrs a week, salaried
The position is full-time, and while the salary is projected to be 40 hours a week, the actual number of hours required during any week are those needed to fulfill the responsibility of the position. It is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year.
DYM will report to the Senior Pastor for ministry guidance. The Staff-Parish Relations Committee, along with the Senior Pastor, will provide an annual evaluation of DYM’s performance. The DYM is responsible and subject to the United Methodist doctrine and policy, as well as local church policy.
Required meetings: Staff Meeting, Youth Council, Administrative Council, Education Committee, Meetings with Worship Leader, Missions Committee, Congregational Life Committee, and any other meetings that the Senior Pastor requests for DYM to attend
- Develop and Encourage spiritual growth in Christ
- Provide leadership and function as the primary staff person for Youth Ministries (YM).
- Be a part of the life and community of First United Methodist Church and Magnolia
- Encouraging all youth to share their God-given gifts with the world.
- Keeping all administrative records that deal with the YM (budget, attendance records, medical forms, etc.)
- Encouraging youth to participate in all facets of the life of the church, including worship, choirs, education opportunities, youth activities, youth trips, Vacation Bible School, service projects, etc.
- Challenging the youth to respond to God’s call to serve in their community and the world.
- Love the youth where they are
- Provide guidance and support backed on biblical principles and Methodist doctrine to youth and other members of the congregation
- Recruit Volunteers to lead the Youth
- Plan and provide training for Youth Volunteers
- Identify, develop, and implant solutions to strategic needs for YM
- Continue with education to further understand the changing dynamics of YM
- Bachelor’s Degree, Youth Ministry Certification is a plus
- Some experience working with students 7th-12th grade, experience in youth ministry is a plus
- Organization, communication skills
- The ability to function both as an independent and as a team player, with the understanding that their ministry is a part of the life of the church
- Experience with technology (websites, social media, etc.)
- Some experience with budgeting and finance, trip planning, and record-keeping
- At Least 4 years older than eldest youth, no younger than 18 years old
- Coordinate a Sunday School class 9:30-10:30
- Fundraisers for YM to serve their ministry
- Coordinate Wednesday (5:30-7:30) and Sunday Night ministries (5:00-8:00)
- Plan monthly fellowship events for Youth (Corn Maze, Winter Formal, Movies, etc.)
- ALL Away Football Games, and potentially away Basketball and Baseball Games
- 5th Quarter Dances after Home Games
- Plan Mission opportunities for Youth
- Take youth the ACCYM events: Refuge, Mitto, Veritas, Choir Tour, Assembly
- Quarterly DCYM and CCYM Meetings
- Attend extracurricular events for Youth (sports, music, etc.)
- Youth Sundays