As Director of Contemporary Worship, this position provides leadership to Central’s contemporary styled worship services by assisting in designing the weekly worship services, and leading music preparation and presentation, and coordinating media, etc. in order to create an atmosphere where the congregation is given the opportunity to individually and corporately offer themselves in worship to God. In addition to the expectation of active participation in the life of Central is the expectation of continued musical and worship leadership development through lessons and continuing education.
All employees and volunteers are expected to reflect Central UMC’s core values, to perform at Central UMC’s standards of excellence and live within the employee Staff Covenant. Active participation in the life of Central UMC is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set and communicate the overall vision for Contemporary Worship.
- Oversee all Dickson Street worship venues that involve contemporary worship (with the exception of Central Student Ministries Worship), including weekly Sunday morning worship, KidsLife worship, and any Contemporary holiday services.
- Facilitate passionate and reverent weekly worship in the Contemporary Worship service(s).
- Lead in weekly worship planning meetings and work with the pastors and contemporary worship team to coordinate elements of the worship service, whenever possible, with sermon messages and established themes.
- Responsible to implement themes in a creative way in the effort to foster a sense of continuity of message and focus in each Sunday worship service.
- Work with Director of Technology Ministries to ensure all technology is coordinated to include lighting, sound, video, and stage set-up.
- Work with CSM worship leader to equip and empower student leadership.
- Work with U of A Wesley worship leader.
- Ensure worship team has music resources needed for leading worship.
- Prepare and administer the Contemporary Worship Budget.
- Recruit, audition and equip worship team vocalists and instrumentalists.
- Communicate regularly with usher team captains regarding their ministry and roles in worship.
- Attend weekly CUMC Leadership Team meetings.
- Planning and executing Nights of Worship and other creative events outside of Sunday mornings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Competencies, Gifts and Passions:
- A heart for worship and a passion to see people experience meaningful worship.
- The ability to communicate with and develop a positive working relationship with the pastoral staff.
- High Christology, spiritual maturity, and foundational knowledge of God’s Word.
- Strong ability to motivate and equip gifted individuals to serve in worship ministry.
- Ability to work with musicians of all skill levels and believes in the importance of rehearsals.
- Ability to recruit talented and committed vocalists and instrumentalists.
- Advanced vocal and instrumental competence.
- Creative thinker and adaptability for worship team development and impact on congregation.
- Ability to direct vocalists and instrumentalists for more balanced worship experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: A bachelor’s degree in music and/or demonstrated proficiency is required for the contemporary worship aspect of the position. Three years experience working with worship teams either in a paid or volunteer capacity is required.
- Computer Skills: Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Power Point and Excel). Experience with ProPresenter software a plus. Ability and desire to receive training in other applicable software programs.
- Language Skills: Ability to read music, comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively lead worship for both small and large audiences.
To apply for this job email your details to KHays@centraltolife.com