Website First United Methodist Church of Springdale
This ministry position is directly supervised by the Executive Pastor and is accountable to the Senior Pastor and Pastor/Parish Relations Committee.
College degree and/or work experience in a relevant field. Active Member of a Christian congregation (United Methodist preferred).
The primary responsibility of the Director of Children’s Ministry is the planning, oversight, and implementation of the SPARK Children’s Ministry of First United Methodist Church in keeping with our understanding of Christian nurture and discipleship, and in accordance with the principles and guidelines of The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church. The Director of Children’s Ministry will exhibit a living faith in Jesus Christ, including serving as an example of excellent moral character and personal piety in accordance with the highest standards of the Christian faith.
The Director of Children’s Ministry will:
- Oversee the entire vision and budget of the First Church Children’s Ministry.
- Provide job descriptions for any interns and volunteers and supervise them accordingly.
- Lead children ages birth through fourth (4th) grade into opportunities for faith formation and leadership development.
- Implement program activities in alignment with the vision statement of SPARK and the mission statement of First United Methodist Church.
- Scheduled programming includes Sunday morning Sunday school, Wednesday evening Grow First KIDS, and Sunday evening activities as needed.
- Initiate and lead Special Events such as, but not limited to;
- Children’s Ministry Easter Egg Hunt, VBS, Trunk-or-Treat, family Advent programming, etc.
- Work with the Executive Pastor and Family Ministry staff to provide a cohesive vision and implementation plan for the Family Ministries of First Church.
- Recruit and train volunteers to support the SPARK Children’s Ministry.
- Provide opportunities for leadership development and faith formation for volunteers, children, and their families.
- Oversee nursery care
- Policies and procedures
- Nursery staffing (Recruiting, training, scheduling, hiring, and evaluations)
- Offer a variety of opportunities for spiritual growth that acknowledges student and family commitments, schedules, and learning styles.
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with students and their families, and develop and implement program curriculum to cover vital topics affecting student life.
The United Methodist Church
- Encourage and provide opportunities for participation in district, conference, and connectional children’s events.
- Direct the ministry to children within the life of the church and community.
- Integrate SPARK Children’s Ministry into the whole life of the First Church congregation.
- Provide resources for Christian parenting to parents of children.
- Maintain professional relationships with parents that foster mutual trust, friendship, and respect.
- Engage in constructive collaborations with other First Church staff.
- Maintain the highest level of positivity and professionalism when speaking to and about all staff members, especially in public settings.
- Ensure proper communication and coordination of all SPARK activities with all relevant staff.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, ministry meetings, and staff development events under the direction of the Executive Pastor.
- Create procedures for welcoming, retaining, and tracking visitors.
- Ensure that the SPARK ministry area is clean, welcoming, and conducive to learning.
- Connect with the community and civic organizations that will provide clarity on the needs of children and families.
- Connect with local schools through school and community events.
- Encourage mission activities among children and families in local, national, and international
- Encourage child and family participation in the mission efforts of First United Methodist Church.
- Participate in church-wide worship services and encourage children and families to do the same.
Other Ministry Responsibilities
- Demonstrate the highest level of spiritual maturity, faith, and professionalism.
- Schedule school and outside ministry visits with children and their families.
- Attend and contribute fruitfully to discussions about the SPARK Children’s Ministry at First United Methodist Church.
- Attend evaluation meetings with the Executive Pastor concerning ministry performance once a year, or as deemed necessary.
- Abide by the FUMC Safe Sanctuary Policy.
- Abide by the FUMC Personnel Policies Manual.
- Attend at least one continuing education event each year.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Please direct all questions or interest in the position to Rev. Jen Ryerson, Executive Pastor at email@example.com or 479-751-4610.